CUDA, realtime sheep, and where I went wrong

Hi all,

You may remember my attempt last year to port flam3 to CUDA to enable much faster GPU-accelerated rendering. You may also remember how I dropped off the face of the planet just when the results were starting to get interesting.

That's because the results turned out to be wrong. I wanted to fix them and post an explanation as to how I measured them incorrectly before recanting the figures, but life caught up with me and I never got around to it.

I'm doing a lot of work with image processing right now, and I recently hit on an idea which may make it possible to come close to the rich, salient theoretical performance figures that made me excited about the idea in the first place. I don't want to jump the gun again, so this will be the last you'll hear on the matter at this location until it's ready for testing (which may be some months away).

Those interested in reading a little more about the work I did last year and the plans to fix it can examine my spectacularly ugly blog, where I may also post updates about this project from time to time.

Thanks,

Steven

Check out Fractron 9000

Hi,

there is another high performance flame renderer called Fractron 9000. It is currently in beta and it has interactive editing features. Unfortunately not open sourced, but free nevertheless.

Essentially it updates the screen while it renders.

It only supports 5 basic variations, but the images you can get are nevertheless astounding.

Thank you for working on this

Thank you for working on this.

The FLAM4 project is already quite cool, but yours sounds like it will be an order of magnitude cooler.

Keep us posted - and please make it open source. ;)

Hi Steven ! Great stuff.  A

Hi Steven !

Great stuff.  A pet project of mine has been wondering whether eleictric sheep could be done in real time.  If your successful I would really want to hear about it.  I write the code for a real time audio visualizer and want to patch in electric sheep, modify some of the sheep parameters based on audio data and render in real time.  The software is at www.flyloops.com .... and the visualizer is soon to be open source.  It uses the JUCE libraries for audio and UI and everything else ..... I am hoping to get sheep integrated eventually, and also a quicktime movie player.  The work never ends, you know how programming is :)

glad to hear you are back on

glad to hear you are back on it.

User login

Login/Register